I've added a information for herding due the increased interest in the sport.
In AKC, these are the following titles:
- HIC (Herding Instinct Certificate) This is now a title demonstrating your dog has herding instinct.
- HT (Herding Tested) This is the first title one may earn in herding. It requires 2 legs and is pass/fail.
- PT (Herding Pre Trial) This is the second title one may earn. It also requires 2 legs and is pass/fail.
- HS (Herding Started) This title requires 3 legs, earning at least 50% on each section.
- HI (Herding Intermediate) This titles requires 3 legs, earning at least 50% on each section.
- HX (Herding Advanced) This title requirse 3 legs, earning at least 50% on each section.
- HC (Herding Champion)
There are 3 types of courses dogs can compete on.
- A course: The minimum size is 100x200. This is generally for most breeds in the Herding group.
- B course: This is a large field. This is generally for Border Collies and other breeds that herd over fields.
- C course: This field is set up for herding boundaries. This is generally for German Shepherds and other breeds that were bred to do boundary work.
HIC, HT and PT are done in specific areas for those type of tests. They are not done on A,B or C type of courses.
There are 3 types of stock dogs can compete with.
- Ducks have courses that are smaller than the sizes listed above.
- Sheep are worked on the size fields listed above.
- Cows are worked on the same size field as sheep.
Generally HIC, HT and PT are done on sheep only. In the past, when ducks were used, novice dogs could be a bit "too enthusiastic". The type of stock is not listed after HIC,HT,PT.
A title showing HSAs means the dog has earned a Herding Started title on A course with Sheep.
A title showing HSAsd means the dog has earned a Herding Started title on A course with Sheep and Ducks. Dogs do not have to start at the beginning level in order to compete. If the handler feels the dog is advanced enough, they could start at the Advanced level, even though they don't have any other titles.
Peyton's PT run at age 20 mos. Keep your volume up! :)
Where can I train?
- Diane Menard Blackbirch Farm Sturbridge MA email@example.com
- Colleen Cody Two Shadows Farm New Braintree MA firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shelley Wurst Stafford Springs CT email@example.com
- Beth Adams Stratham NH firstname.lastname@example.org
- Suzanne White Applteon ME email@example.com
- Marcia Welch, CPDT-KA Parson Creek Edgecomb, ME firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chris Davies Oxford PA http://www.flyawayaussies.bravepages.com
For general information:
- Northeast Herding Info http://www.northeastherdinginfo.com/
- AKC Herding Rules http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RG9001.pdf
- Want to practice online? http://www.sheepgame.co.uk/
Upcoming Seminars etc
April 26 2014 Herding Fun Day! Flyer (PDF)